January is a great time to start a home REFRESH – it’s the doldrums of winter, we are home A LOT and why not take a little time and LOVE your home again?
That’s why we are doing a home organization challenge concentrating on a different area of your home each weekend. How did week #1 of the Declutter Challenge go with the BATHROOM? Do you find that it was easier to get ready in the morning? Did you have more space on your countertop?
Next up – CLOSETS! Dealing with your clothes can be challenging – and this past year didn’t help. With so many people continuing to work from home and special events cancelled, you might have found that your work and dress clothes haven’t quite made it out of the closet in a while. Now is a great chance to really re-organize for the life you’re living NOW – especially if you know you’re not going back to the office for a while.
- There are different ideas on where to start – I think it’s a little overwhelming to throw all your clothes on the bed. It’s easier to sort by one category at a time and start there. TOPS (Tank tops, short sleeve tops, long sleeve tops, sweaters, etc.) PANTS (jeans, leggings, etc).
- Decide what you want to keep.
- Figure out where it’s going to live depending on the space you have (dresser vs. closet) and ask if it NEEDS to live in your closet or could it be stored in somewhere else? Work clothes and formal wear, for example, might go to the guest room closet or can be boxed up and stored.
- Buy nice hangers to create a uniform look – I suggest the non-slip black velvet hangers – the best prices are found at Costco and HomeGoods.
- Give your closet a good deep cleaning while empty.
- Hang up your clothes by category and by color – lightest to darkest.
- To maintain it, gather empty hangers together and don’t have more than about 5.
Having trouble getting started? Sign up for our newsletter and gain access to our FREE Declutter Quicklist. You’ll get our itemized checklist to help get the ball rolling, as well as even more spots in your home to declutter. Set a timer for 20 minutes and GO! At the end, either stop or continue. It’s that easy! If you need some assistance, encouragement, or just want to let me know how it goes…let’s chat! Schedule a call HERE.
Ready for the next step in the Declutter Challenge? Check it out HERE.